Gunboards Forums banner

12 round hi-cap mags

61K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  KY-Mike 
Welcome to the forum dec.

The 12 round mags are harder to find than the 10's, but I wouldn't call them real rare. The big drift of this post was mostly how to tell the "Real Russian" from the pro mags, Big Difference.
also it is fairly easy to convert most of the 10 round to twelve round w/o any cutting and the post kind of became a how to for that.

The values on the hi cap IJ 70 's has been kind of crazy lately and the prices seem to be down a little, $250 to $350, My guess is yours would be on the high end of that.

I just recently bought two NIB conc Serial numbers 9X18 HC for $465.

Caution

so if you trim the plastic parts on the Russian 10 rounder, the only other difference is the spring length?

Depends on which plastic part you are going to trim,
The plastic bottom that locks the base on ?
That bottom spring is the same between 10 and 12 rounds mags.
You can trim that part or replace it with a metal lock.

The upper plastic part that sits between the two springs ?
That upper spring can be different and I would not trim that part unless you have a way to build a new spring seat, other wise your mag becomes a paper weight.

HTH's

i have 2 of the mags on the left with the plastic or nylon base with the usual metal floorplate.
Easy fix if you are handy with a hack saw or belt sander and live in a free state that allows mags that will hold more than 10 rounds,
remove the ring ( cylinder ) that inserts into the spring.
or
This is my preferred method:
fabricate a new metal locking insert to replace the plastic one.

remove from the plastic floorplate, right? not the middle piece that connects the upper and lower springs? i just want to be sure i do it right cause I've never dealt with one of these and don't want to screw it up.

Correct, another pic. :)

on the left is an uncut insert , on the right is one cut down and the cut smoothed down as much as possible. The 12th round may be a little tight going in when using this modification.

I want to urge caution when thinking about modifing these mags.
At one time they were a little easier to find and they could be had for $15-25,
Things have changed, the supply has dried up and the price has went way up. There are no spare parts on the market.
A 10 round Orginal Russian mag that works is worth a lot more than a 0 round paper weight.

Easy fix if you are handy with a hack saw or belt sander and live in a free state that allows mags that will hold more than 10 rounds,
remove the ring ( cylinder ) that inserts into the spring.
or
This is my preferred method:
fabricate a new metal locking insert to replace the plastic one.

A small pic to explain the preferred method,
2 of the plastic base locking inserts are at top and left.
At the bottom ( #4 ) is the locking insert from an original Russian 12 round mag.
At the right ( #3 ) is a fabricated insert to replace the plastic insert, I went through some old mag parts until I found one that came close and cut it down to fit. Works fine and is thin enough that the 12 round is easier to get loaded and stock parts aren't cut on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.