Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
885 Posts
I've seen black powder loads used before but I don't have a recipe. I'd like to load some myself so I'll check this topic later to see what's been added.

Most people seem to think older damascus shotguns should not be used with any load. As you know, the barrels are made by pounding different thin sheet of steel together. Over time these sheets tend to separate (galvanic corrosion due to the contact of two dissimilar metals) so proceed with caution. I do have an old steel double barrel I'd like to try with black powder.

·
Registered
127 Posts
OK, for a well made 12 ga. in good shape I have used from 83 grains 3F (3 dram equiv.) to ~110 grains 3F (4 dram equiv.) with 1 ounce bird shot (I like 71/2). I have used paper and plastic hulls. The 3 dr. is a more effective load. The heavier load tends to cook the doves with its battleship like blast. This also freaks out other folks in the field, but not as bad as when I use my brown bess (9 birds 21 shots [110 grains 3F, including prime, and 1-5/8 oz. of 71/2 shot]. Havn't blown myself to smitheroons .......yet!!! Skip

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,235 Posts
Try this site, This is the one I used to load my BP shot shells. http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

Here are some pictures of my BP damascus double barrel rabbet ear shotgun. I use this shot gun for all upland game. I have more fun hunting with my old double.

Text Font
Gun Firearm Shotgun Trigger Rifle
Wood Text Font Carving Wood stain
Camera accessory Shotgun Air gun Tripod Muffler

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.