Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11th on the way. It has the one screw rear swivel, and no dustcover groove.

Then I notice the one Jarrod is currently selling has the rope hole, but with the groove.

Is there a method to the madness? I would have thought that, if anything, the rope hole would be the one without the groove.

·
Banned
1,237 Posts
the 11th series is full of wierd parts configurations. i have owned several in this series to include:

SSRS with grooves and no front swivel
rope hole with no grooves
rope hole with grooves
SSRS with grooves and front swivel

seems as though Nagoya was using just about anything they could in this series. also had one that used an earlier rejected receiver. you could build a collection of series 11s.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hello vintagemc313 :

You will find the same thing of parts mixing on the late 27th series by Tokyo Juki Kogyo, no dust cover grooves and hole in the butt in the 38000 range, and dust cover grooves and hole in the butt in the 40000 range. Towards the last months of production they were assembling weapons with old reject parts, scraps, defective and out of tolerance, just as long as it functioned was the criteria.
Vicasoto

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Here's what I've observed over the centuries, (1) up to around the mid-70,000 normal Substitute Type 99 configure. (2) From mid-70s until end of series MOST w/o Dc grooves. (3) in late 70K-early/mid-80K rear band had swivel left off, these were either "normal" bands with the swivels left off or the later bands fabricated without the swivel feature. These had single screw rear swivel and are the first rope sling rifles, (4) Mid/late 80K and up (excluding 95-96/97K) rope sling rifles, three or two nail wooden butt plate, various rear swivels. (5) between 95K and 96 -97 K rifles had a single screw rear swivel. Remainder were rope sling rifles. As Vic noted, a variety of surplus parts were used. I've seen one high # 11th with a Type A (with "Type 99") receiver. I may have skipped one or more "major" variations being old and "disremembering" a lot of what I once knew!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts