Gunboards Forums banner

11mm Mauser vs .43 Spanish Mauser

8K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  moconnor 
#1 ·
Sort of a dumb question but whats the difference between the two?

#2 ·
I found the 43 Mauser in "Cartridges of the World", page 368. It shows a bullet diameter of .446. There was no 43 Spanish per se. There was a refertence on page 367 and370 to a 43 Spanish Remington and a Spanish Reformato with a bullet diameter of .454. Hard to tell the dimensions of each cartridge. I am told each picture in the book is actual size, if that is the case the Spanish is a bigger cartridge.

#3 ·
Besides being completely different cases and bullet diameters? And Mauser having nothing to do with the .43 Spanish round. Nothing.

#7 ·
Argentina purchased about 500 surplus 1871's for use by the army (Ejercito Nationale). IIRC, instead of buying old stocks of 11mm Mauser they simply had the troops fire .43 Spanish (which the RRBs were chambered for) in them. They were never rechambered to .43 Spanish.

#8 ·
On this subject, sort of, I have 2 cartridges I was told are 11mm Mauser. I have no idea if this is true but I figured this might be the thread to ask about them. I measured them and they have the following dimensions in inches:

OAL is ~2.958
case length ~2.25-2.26
case rim diameter ~0.638
case base diameter ~0.516
bullet dia (w/out patch) ~0.425-0.427
bullet dia (w/ patch) ~ 0.435

what do you all think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.