Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,229 Posts
I know its worth the $315 I paid, I dont know exactly how much more
I’m sorry to say that this is a good news and not so good news situation. The good news is that you got more than your money’s worth. You would have no problem quickly and easily selling your new Enfield for more than the $315 you paid.

The not so good news is that I don’t believe that you got as good of a deal as you might think. Unfortunately the condition problems that you mention in passing greatly depress the price that any serious collector would pay for your rifle.

You noted that:
This rifle appears to be in fantastic condition with only a light sanding
Metal condition is decent but worn, almost like someone scrubbed things with steel wool.
That’s a bit like saying that someone is in perfect health other than the cancer. If the stock has been sanded, even lightly, the rifle in question is not in fantastic condition. Likewise if the metal finish has been scoured with steel wool or any abrasive it’s not fair or accurate to describe the metal condition as decent.

Please note that I mean not to nitpick over your choice of words but to state the simple fact that collectors, the group most likely to pay top dollar, are not going to pay a collector grade price for a “shooter” grade rifle. And with the sanding and abrasive cleaning that’s taken place that’s what your rifle is: a shooter.

In short I have no doubt that your rifle, as a shooter, has a dollar value greater than the $315 you paid but it would have been worth several hundred dollars more (at a minimum) if it had not been aggressively cleaned and sanded in the past.

·
Registered
12,130 Posts
Don't worry too much about the 2 groove bore. Other than some of them sometimes having a problem with key-holing boat tail bullets if badly worn, they are perfectly good shootable bores if in good condition.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had one that I bought back in the mid-1970's. It was unissued condition; still in cosmoline...2 groove rifling, flip up 300/600 battle sight, stained birch stock. I bought it for $60.00 Canadian.

I had a lot of fun with the rifle; shooting competitions I never won and toting it around the woods in Ontario. I never put that many rounds through it...maybe 2-300, and I stored it until about 2015 when I decided to sell it.

I was asking $450.00 Canadian and settled for $425.00 at a gun show in Nelson, British Columbia.

The condition of mine was probably more than you can offer a prospective buyer who knows what he's looking at/for but I think you could ask $500.00 for it and settle for $450-425.00. You can turn it and make money but there will never be proper investment potential if the previous owner took it to the "beauty shop" as you describe.

Just my 2 cents...good luck!

·
Registered
520 Posts
The grease pot and oiler are for the M-1 Garand. I would agree that a realistic value would be between $400-$450.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,279 Posts
Just a wag on my part and I ain't no Lee Enfield expert but I do watch what things sell for. I would suspect that with a little patience that would sell for $500.00. Put an Enfield sling on it and keep the damn thing. You ain't getting another one for that price. The general public have found the Lee Enfields big time and the prices seem to reflect it. Collectors, probably not but the guy looking to dip his toe in the water and own an American made Lee Enfield....I think he would do it. Vintage Savage rifle collectors are starting to take notice of them. Sporter models are bringing $350 dollars. Ain't nothing like owning a .303 Savage lever action made before 1898 and a .303 British bolt action made in the same factory during WW2. I know, I have them. Hmmmm might be time for pictures. No profane responses please. Just tell me you think I am an idiot and that will suffice. I am old so I will probably forget you said it in a couple of hours anyhow.

Reactions: lukasfehr

·
Registered
311 Posts
See this for values Value of my rifle ? Look here for ref. - Surplus Rifle Forum - www.surplusrifleforum.org
Too long to rewrite, a Savage with matching bolt , in average condition, not messed with, I would say around $500-550 in WI. Remember these were $79 CAI imports back 10 years ago. Some very nice, others dogs. Given that the stock was lightly sanded and metal cleaned with steel wool. I'd say about $350-400 to a shooter. It just depends on how bad it looks. I would need to see better pictures of the wood, metal, and crown the barrel. As a collector, I would pass at $300.
See some of the links I provided in that write up.

·
Registered
12,800 Posts
The 'shy original poster' strikes AGAIN.

How can we ever build up an experience base here if the original posters keep hiding their posts?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
The 'shy original poster' strikes AGAIN.

How can we ever build up an experience base here if the original posters keep hiding their posts?
I think it tends to happen when folks buy 'the apple of their eye' and it turns out to be not quite what they thought it was, it is probably easier to remove the questions so that when the new potential buyer does some internet research they don;t see 'what a dog' it is.

All speculation of course.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The guy posed a legitimate question that was answered by a few who had informed perspectives.

Then he "disappears"; wipes his original question...we used to call that "Bad Form" when and where I grew up.

Here's a link to the rifle in question...OP said it was "sanded" and possibly rubbed a bit with steel wool...he was asking for a value as he was considering offering it for sale...

Savage Enfield No4Mk1* - Imgur

·
Registered
311 Posts
Here was a former picture and the statement that was under a photo in the above link.
" This rifle appears to be in fantastic condition with only a light sanding, and what appears to be a decent barrel. I'm not super familiar with 2 groove barrels however, so let me know what you think. All Matching numbers. "

gf3QDPel.jpg

For the record
From a distance it does not look bad, the devil is in the close up views. At least the bolt does match and that is a positive. Still worth $300-400 to a shooter. The side markings are also important, different versions exist. Location of the import mark is another factor in price. At least the rifle stock was not stripped. We needed more photos, not none.

Maybe the original poster saw this:Vintage Gun Review: Savage Enfield No.4 MK1* - The Truth About Guns

·
Registered
406 Posts
Glad you brought up "Lend/Lease" in regards to the Savage Lee-Enfields...most people don't have a clue about that.

Remember, Savage made the bulk of the Lewis guns that British troops used in WWI.

The OP (lukasfehr) has clearly tried to eliminate his own connection with starting this discussion...seems willing to ask people for their sincere effort and then disavow his own interest.. strange behaviour...Oh well...

·
Gold Bullet member
11,229 Posts
In my post above I quoted what I thought were the OP’s more important statements for those who didn’t visit this thread until after it was sanitized.

I believe that I answered his questions fairly and accurately as did the forum members who followed. I’m more than a little curious why the OP saw fit to take his ball and go home.

Reactions: SDigger

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
As I mentioned in a different thread, some people get mad at the forum when they discover the deal wasn't as great as they wanted to believe.

Some members here discovered the same yet they are still around and contributing to discussions. Whether stating their own observations or simply asking questions, they are contributing and helping to build a greater knowledge base. Great respect.

Others...they take the ball and sneak away in denial, thus wrecking everything for everyone else. The world has plenty of juvenile types and this board isn't immune apparently. No respect.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts