Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned the other day about the condition of the barrel under the foreend of my recently aquired Martini Enfield. Here's a quick pic of it, and it does not do it justice. I was amazed at the quality of finish remaining. Other than a couple of tiny spots of pitting, the metalwork under the wood is excellent. I tried to show the row of stamps, directly under the rear sight area....They really did do quality work. I wonder how many of today's guns will look this good in 114 years.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
It's something isn't it? I've got an 1874 LSA Martini-Henry that came out of A'stan. No finish above the wood, but underneath it's pristine...just like the one in your photo. As bad as the rest of the rifle is, I keep it around as a benchmark of what these old finishes looked like when new.

1,196 Posts
Rust blue

Tis a slow rust blue like no other, the formula is lost in time. Nice finish aint it?

There is an Enfield blue in my 1937 edition of Angier's book, but access to the chemicals to make the mix is a bit of a challenge to a domestic user. I havn't found a commercial product that comes close as yet.

·
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My father has a "recipe" book like that... Quite a few mixtures for blue, brown and black finishes to steel. But, as you said, these days enquiring about the chemicals either gets you locked up or commited! They must have been nasty stuff!

·
Banned
10,252 Posts
Angier's book lists Enfield Browne AND Birmingham Browne... Birmingham Browne comes CLOSE (had some made by a chemist for me).

Pilkington's Classic American Rust Blue is NOT right on British or German rifles as-is but can be made to LOOK like it with an addition of some selenous acid at the RIGHT stage in the rusting process (after first rust, and only once, for a total of 4 rusts)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.