Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
12,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No, not by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, no. The one by IMA, our sponsor: http://ima-usa.com/ And more specifically, this chapter: http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.../2439?osCsid=0fb8d9e5f5797f191ab4150191f158ad

Snider Type Breech Loading Infantry Rifle with Short Bayonet: Untouched

I have always craved a Snider, but was somewhat reluctant to take the chance of missing or broken parts. However, I already had a good luck with the untouched Francotte Martini-Henry, so I ordered one. And here is what I received - a very dirty, grimy, encrusted, but 100% complete and functional Snider:

After the 100 years of solitude followed a week of gradual awakening. The metal was soaked first in kerosene, then sprayed with WD-40 and brushed with a bronze brush and the crevices cleaned with dentist tools. I am always leery of over-cleaning and at first tried to clean the wood with mineral spirits. Nope, too long a sleep. I ended up using a technique that I avoid - cleaning with "Simple Green". But it worked wonderfully! The wood turned out to be really, really nice and only needed a few coats of BLO. And the bore! The bore is like a mirror!

Anyway, here is the Snider, fully awaken:

The snap cap is home made; I punched two leather disks and glued them together:

I am a happy - and frugal - owner of two very nice guns, total cost $500 + S&H (I paid $150 for the M-H an year ago and $350 for the Snider two weeks ago). Now I am ready to go fight some Zulus... er, no, scratch that, it ain't PC... to fight some abusive Arizonians so that we repeal their hateful anti-immigration laws :laugh: :

Thank you, IMA!

·
Gold Bullet member
259 Posts
Excellent job on the cleanup, she looks real nice. Congrats on the two fine purchases and hopefully you get many years enjoyment out of them!

·
Administrator
12,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Gold Bullet member
1,433 Posts
Now be honest. Did they send you a "ringer" since they're a board sponsor?

·
Administrator
12,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why sure. They use special X-Ray equipment that looks through the crud and tells which rifle will clean up and which will not.

·
Silver Bullet member
842 Posts
Awesome job on the cleanup! Amazing it's the same rifle.
usrifle

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,781 Posts
I also received a complete and functional Snider from IMA. Not being as patient as Nick, I used blue can Easy-off oven cleaner to remove the solidified yak fat. The brass parts spent all night in the tumbler, and I'll put the rifle together today. I hope to cast bullets this AM and test fire it after dinner.

My IMA Gahendra was complete and functional, as well - and it shoots very well!

Stuff like this keeps me out of the bars! And too broke for other bad habits! ;) SW

·
Registered
75 Posts
Very nice, makes me want one :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,289 Posts
Money and time well spent. That is a legit weapon and not the suspect ones that I
saw tons of in Afghanistan. I would rather pay a bit more from IMA and know I am getting the
real deal than snag a $150 Afghan example and never know what the heck is original and right.

For a wall hanger , it probably does not make a hoot of difference but I prefer yours over
any I saw in 4.5 yrs in the Hindu Kush.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,179 Posts
I just bought one of these off GunBroker, it had been already cleaned, so I knew what I was getting before hand. Going to the range today and put some rounds thru it.
Nice looking rifle, you did well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts