Gunboards Forums banner

100 year old Nazi used K98

10K views 57 replies 27 participants last post by  Deminn 
#1 ·
I've been searching and searching for a nice example of one of these. I wouldn't have gotten it had I not decided last minute to pull into the pawn shop I was about to pass. :thumbsup: $200 OTD

Crown is great and bore is a freaking mirror!

IMG_2303
IMG_2327
IMG_2304
IMG_2306
IMG_2307
IMG_2308
IMG_2309
IMG_2310
IMG_2312
IMG_2313
IMG_2315
IMG_2316
IMG_2317
IMG_2318
IMG_2319
IMG_2320
IMG_2321
IMG_2323
IMG_2324
IMG_2325
IMG_2326
IMG_2329
IMG_2333
IMG_2341
IMG_2334
IMG_2335
IMG_2338
IMG_2340
IMG_2342
IMG_2343

See less See more
#9 ·
Thanks guys. They were asking $250 and told me that was negotiable so I asked bottom dollar and they said $200 taxes included.

Could you tell me more about it and this about the stock? I don't know jack about K98a Mausers but would love to learn!

#11 ·
Can't comment on the rifle since this is not my special area, but Milsurp20 probably can. He's one of the Gurus here.

I'm betting on American Black Walnut based on cellular structure of the wood easily visible, and the overall appearance of the wood. Also the knowledge that the German Arms industry, military and civilian, favored ABW right up 'till WWII terminated deliveries in the mid-1930's.

Take a look at IMG 2308 and draw an imaginary line north-south and east-west through the center of the photo: See the small round spots that really show up in the northeast quadrant of the photo? These are the ends of "storied ray cells" that move food material (sugars made in the green leaves) from the inner-bark (zylem-phloem cells) to the center of the tree for storage 'till needed for growth. This is a very pronounced characteristic of ABW as is the dark, almost black streaks of food material that is seen moving along the grain left-right, right-left. Many ring-porous hardwoods of the eastern USA forests will show this characteristic. The "Tiger Stripe" of soft and hard Maples is a good example. You see this "Tiger Stripe" in stocks of high-end American arms all the way back to the flintlock period. The dark stripes are the same thing....sugars made in the leaves and moved down the tree then to the center for storage. Refer to the "Wood handbook" published by the US Forest Service Forest Products Lab in Madison, Wisc. to learn more about this identifying characteristic.

#14 ·
While I'm flattered, I am far from a guru lol. Just a guy trying to keep up and a penchant for interjecting his opinion. RyanE nailed this rifle down in guru fashion. Woodsrunner, do you feel that the shipments of ABW were intended for commercial firearms then redirected to military production or strictly military to begin with?

#16 ·
As in the last ditch effort by Hitler to bring old men and young boys into the war in the last months of WWII? How do you know? All I can tell from the rifle is it was used during WWII due to the blued bolt and the Waffenamt. lol

#18 ·
My mistake. So what is the difference? And what do you guys think this rifle was issued to? No unit marks, no signs of police use, no 1920 stamp...it is weird vs the other K98as I've seen.

Also the stock stays original and was never "upgraded" to the later version.

#20 ·
Man once again we have a forum member I will not be speaking to for a while.
Yes I am envious{;>
Great find you lucky dawg!!!!

#28 ·
Like Farb said. Pure dumb luck. And the luck continued to you. You think you like it now? Wait till you shoot it. These, FNs and CZs are probably my favorite shooters. Because of their age though I shoot the K98a a little less than the others. Just a choice. Congratulations. The last German K98a I picked up was 4 years ago for $400.00. You did very well.

#32 ·
Thank you! I do plan to shoot it once. What 8mm ammo do you guys use for the range? The shop offered me 2 boxes of Privi match 8mm rounds for $20 but I turned them down. Stupid

#31 ·
No I got it and the scabbard for $175 shipped.

I'm not much for bayonet collecting but when this one popped up I had to get it. It is original shape, not been sharpened and it has definitely seen some use! Brutal...

#34 ·
Is that ammo corrosive? And you might be right about the fingerprint. I will take more pics of the bayonet in an hour or so. I will also get some bore and crown pics. But the bayonet is very interesting.

#39 ·
Widners has m75 - don't sweat cleanup - couple of patches soaked in windex, a few dry patches then clean normally. Being rather cheap I purchased a supply of 50's yugo for about half the price of m75 and use nosler custom completion hand loads in reformed hxp 30-06 brass with a moderate charge of 4064 for match work. Nosler ballistic tips for putting meat in the freezer.

#40 ·
Well I didn't get to take pics yesterday. As I was about to get off work the bottom dropped. Maybe today!

And thanks guys I will be trying surplus now. Fingers crossed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.