Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some photos of FN 22 6,5x53R Dutch Cases, Filled 1938, Sent to KNIL, Captured by Japanese and Re- Marked,1942; Taken over by Republic of Indonesia 1949 from Dutch; Surplussed to Aussie Importer 1980s, in AVB store since then, Opened today 5 Aug. 22; will shoot 100 tomorrow at QMRC range in my Md1892 Steyr Romanian Barrelled Action by Pape of Newcastle ( from Steyr, in 1890s) as a Target ( Bisley) and Deer Rifle: " .256
Mannlicher Flanged".
Will see how the 100 yr.old cases and 84 yr.old Powder and Primers have held up in a soldered-sealed Biscuit Tin coated with tar paint.
Enjoy photos! Onl
Wood Gas Font Wood stain Rectangle

Brown Food Wood Rectangle Gas

Wood Bumper Trunk Rectangle Automotive exterior

Wood Artifact Art Sculpture Automotive design

Wood Rectangle Ingredient Cuisine Cake

Wood Gas Font Metal Circle

Wood Metal Nickel Fashion accessory Tableware

Rectangle Wood Cuisine Dish Metal

Rectangle Wood Cuisine Dish Metal
Wood Bumper Trunk Rectangle Automotive exterior
Wood Metal Nickel Fashion accessory Tableware
Wood Rectangle Ingredient Cuisine Cake
Wood Gas Font Metal Circle
Wood Gas Font Wood stain Rectangle
Brown Food Wood Rectangle Gas

·
Administrator
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All the 6,5 RN bullets developed basically from the 1890 Italian Rifle Trials which led to the M91 Carcano rifle and Rimless Cartridge.
Initially, in the trials, two cartridges ( one Rimmed, One Rimless) and over 10 test rifle designs were submitted from all the Italian Arsenals, as well as Mauser, Steyr and other European designers.
The first test round eliminated the Rimmed case design, and Tests continued through another series of Tests of Rimless case.
Finally, the Terni model Ter ( 3°) was accepted ( with Torino Arsenal Carcano 's safety design). Steyr didn't discard the Rimmed case 6,5, but developed it into the Md1892 Rifle and Cartridge for Romania ( Improved M1893 version in final delivery)...followed by the Netherlands M1895 with the same Cartridge and Charger Clip.
Further development of a Rimless 6,5x53.5 for the Mannlicher Schoenauer rifle in 1900, led to adoption by Greece on 1903.
Quite a cascade of Rifle and Cartridge development from a simple request for 6,5 Calibre Modern Rifles started by Italy in 1889-1890.
The 6,5x55 Swede was a Norwegian 1892, also from Steyr
(Krag design) and when Sweden wanted to get a new calibre and Rifle, they started with a Mauser Carbine in 8x58R Danish, but similar build to M1891 Argentine.
By 1894 Sweden had switched to the Norwegian (common reign) 6,5x55 Cartridge, and the Swedish Mausers (94,96) were in the Norwegian Cartridge.
So the 6,5x55 has a Steyr Development origin, in conjunction with Keller & Co.,
Ammo makers, who were Steyr's
Ammunition development facility from the 1860s.( all exports of Steyr Rifles were accompanied by K&C ammunition.)

There are small differences in bullet profiles, construction, and weight; but the 159-164 grain Cylindrical FMJ- RN, were essentially the same.
They all worked on the Base-
Upset-Obturation principle, where the open base was swaged into the Rifling on firing, and provided the Gas Seal, for a Less-than- Groove diameter Bullet. This reduced friction heat, Nickel fouling, and wear.

DocAV

·
Registered
748 Posts
Pretty cool seeing this. Depends on storage, your still looks decent. Oldest I have used around 80 years old, maybe 80 percent bang rate. Some of those would go on second try.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I'm envious. All of that ammo and on clips too. I await your report on firing some of it. I have eight different Dutch carbines but haven't shot any of them. I do have some KNIL ammo that was repacked by Vic's in Galveston, Tx. (a surplus store) back in the 1960s but not on clips. I bought it as collector ammo thinking that it probably wouldn't fire due to careless storage.
Regards
Dan

·
Administrator
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had to put off last Saturday's shoot with the Sporting Steyr;
Vault Door jammed by Foundation Settling ( only a 1-2mm Interference fit) but too much effort for my accumulated upper body weakness ( open heart surgery, etc etc).
My PA, a strapping ex- Military gal, opens and closes the Vault with ease...I wish I was 35 again, not 73!!! Will try to Test next Saturday ( 100 meters, Own Target Frame with removable Target Cards.).
DocAV

1 - 18 of 18 Posts