Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2011/01/03/featured_rifles_billy_dixons_one_mile_shot_010311/

We got some board members shooting upwards of 1 mile with Mosin Nagant Rifles.

THey do this because they can, they push the envelope and these guys put videos out to prove it.

Shooting long range, with iron sights is nothing new. Billy Dixon (see site above) did it in 1874 with
His Sharpes. Later, the Army sent a team to verify the distance. It was 1,538 yards–7/8 of a mile. Years later, Dixon admitted it was a lucky shot. But he was also quoted as saying, “I was not without confidence in my marksmanship.”

He knew his rifle and how it shot.... there is a lesson here for all of us to get that good
with our rifles. Master them.

THis is American history, we routinely shot long ranges in the old days. We need to remember that
and not be hood winked by the shooters today who think 100 yds is some feat of shooting and can only
talk the talk, not shoot .

“I was not without confidence in my marksmanship.” ... We should all be saying that !

Just a reminder: this is nothing new.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,381 Posts
Finding a place to shoot long distances is a challenge for most of us. I would love to stretch out the legs on not just my Mosins but many others as well.

I'm currently limited to about 170 paces, whatever distance that boils down to.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I figured the drop at 26' when shooting 1000 yds a few years back. I was able to hit an old door which was painted white so I could see it a little better. I put a flag that I could see from 1000 yds 26' above the target, and aimed at that. After 20 rounds I went downrange and looked at the door. There were 15 holes scattered randomly about the top half of the door. When I adjusted the rear sight to about 1000 meters I couldn't hit a thing, but if I left the rear sight at 100 and just adjusted my aiming point I could hit what I was aiming at for the most part. I'm sure using a better grade of ammo would have improved things a lot; I was shooting surplus Russian 'sniper' ammo that costs twice as much as the regular surplus.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
My hat is off to the shooters that put in the time, to gain the skills, to shoot long distances. I find it very impressive for someone to be able to hit a man-sized target at 1000 yards. If I were thirty of forty years younger I might take it up. (maybe next time), but most of my shooting is done at about 50 feet with .45 ACP or 9MM. I don't have to walk too far to check my targets. One hundred yards is about good for this old phart with a high-powered rifle, and I am quite pleased to keep on a 9" pie plate at that distance. My shooting won't impress anyone, but I sure do enjoy it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.