Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About + or -25 years ago there was a 1/2 size Type 2 take down rifle at either one of the big PA. shows or the old Columbus Ohio show. I believe Doss was at the show when I was there. Has this ever turned up again?

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,175 Posts
I used to know where it is, but I've lost track of the fellow. He wanted to sell it to me, but sometimes you gotta say no to these prices. I'll post a photo of one of the walls in my den one night next week with a little story, and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was told that it was Japanese made and liberated from one of the rifle factories or arsenals. Who knows? There are some pretty crafty people out there. I believe it was .22 caliber.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I Examined This Rifle About 25 Years Ago, It Was Owned At That Time By Bill Ratcliffe, It Was A Half Scale T-2 And Was Perfectly Done Down To The Wedge. I Cant Remember If It Was Serialized, But I Doubt It And It Was Picked Up From The Commanding Officers Office At Nagoya Arsenal. Thats All I Remember. I Should Have Bought It.

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,175 Posts
As I remember it, Bill wanted around 2 grand for it, and for one thing I didn't want a toy. It was a dubious story. It's the story Bill was told by the seller. At that time, and still seems to be true, it was customary to furnish important people associated with the development of a new rifle, etc., with a small scale model. I don't remember Bill ever saying the rifle was anything other than a model. I remember Dr. Kawamura showing me his model of the JSDF lmg he had designed. That was so neat.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
U.S. Ordnance folks in RoC were told to create five, working half or quarter scale Sten guns for presenttion to Chinese and U. S. officials. The Sgt. taking the order to the ordnance shop changed the 5 to a 6 and kept the sixth. It's now in the hands of a friend here in AL, with documentation and ATF registration papers as an automatic weapon, shoots, either .25 or .32. It was the subject of an article in the Miniture Military Arms magazine some years ago. Guess it's also possible some "higher up" in the occupation had the T-2 made.

George, my main memory of you, besides the shows, is sitting on my living room floor in P'burgh assembling that Nambu light. "Dummy" of course for you ATF readers. If you make it to the Lakeland shows, lets get together at the Jan-Feb? show.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts