Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of putting together an 03A3 from assembled parts and I'm using a Minelli "C" stock from Brownells. Realizing that I would need a rear trigger guard screw bushing and knowing my capacity to mess simple things up, I ordered a couple from Numrich. Well they arrived today and to my chagrin they slip right through the screw hole in the stock. It seems to me, that if the bushing is to prevent the action from moving rearward in the stock, the bushing would at least be a press fit. Not so in this case as far as this bushing's outer diameter is concerned.

Since I had two, I used a punch to expand one of the bushings to try and get it to fit a bit tighter. That seemed to work but I've convinced myself that this is a "Catch 22" strategy since a tight fit between the bushing and the stock equates to a sloppy fit between the screw and the bushing. Hmmmmm.

I'm in a quandary here and could use some advice. What to do?

Here's what my caliper tells me:

Bushing: 1.10" long, .342" OD, .270" ID.
Stock hole: .350"
Screw shank: .246"

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'd acraglass that bushing in. Not recoil sensitive at all.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
STOP!!!! dont glass that bushing in!! sheesh.
a genuine bushing is split. open it up, it will fit right...trim 1/8 off one end before you install....gawd...do this right or leave it alone.

the reason they used stock bushings..
in military bolt action rifles...1903,s 1917s Mausers and a few others.
they used wood. walnut or other hard wood.
the bushing let the wood shrink or move without hurting the function or accuracy of the weapon.
example.
your issued a 1903 in warm dry sunny Ca, USA. your shipped over seas to cold snowy wet Europe in less then 2 weeks later...
the stock will likely change, the bushing let this change happen without effecting the function of the rifle.
if you glass the bushing in place. and use the rifle in a CMP match...you win and somebody cries...they will inspect the rifle, and you will be disqualified....
if gunjunk corp actually sent you G.I bushings then install them as i said...if they just sent you some steel or brass tubing cut down. toss them in the junk box. and find a real bushing.. i may have one extra

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cid:

Not to worry, having understood the function of the bushing I had already stepped away from the Acraglass. <G>
I did as you have suggested, trimmed it a bit and installed it. Incidentally, both pins were large roll pins.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
thats kinda a term for it i guess.
G.I bushings were a flat piece of metal, rolled up, with a slight gap.
they made them a little long, and they stock out side the wood just a bit, trimming them 1/8 and spreading the gap, makes for a tight fit, and good wood contact for the action and trigger guard.
once you get it all set in, make sure you have a 1/16 gap behind the tang between the stock,
if no gap, use a dremill tool, after you tighten to 35 inch pounds, after 5 shots..check them again..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, here you go. A quick and dirty picture of the initial assembly. (There's still quite a bit of snow in the front yard limiting my available light options.)

I think it looks pretty good. One thing for sure, I learned a lot putting it together. I hope to get out to our local range at the end of the week to see how it shoots.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Look at the tang of an original and see how much the wood is removed behind and around it .If the rear tang of the action is even close to that wood ,the recoil will make the action hit that wood and take a chunk out of it .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts