Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through the BATF book and couldn't find a definitive answer. Can an "03" C&R collector sell a C&R rifle (which is in his bound book) to a Non-FFL (no C&R lic.) holder in his State?
I have a C&R rifle in my "bound book" I want to sell in person, not mailed/shipped, do I have to go through an "01" dealer to transfer it? I am in Calif., can't find anything in the Calif. DOJ regulations either.

Thanks, David Franchi

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
As long as there is no reason why the buyer cannot possess a firearm, you can complete the sale and record the pertinent buyer's information in your bound book i.e. date of birth, address, driver's license number or other acceptable form of identification, etc.

·
Copper Bullet member
722 Posts
As long as there is no reason why the buyer cannot possess a firearm, you can complete the sale and record the pertinent buyer's information in your bound book i.e. date of birth, address, driver's license number or other acceptable form of identification, etc.
I agree this is a good answer for California for a long arm.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
It has always been my understanding that within CA you have to transfer ANY firearm through an 01FFL. I have yet to find any dealer that will transfer a firearm here without the 10 day waiting period C&R or not.

·
Gold Bullet member
395 Posts
It has always been my understanding that within CA you have to transfer ANY firearm through an 01FFL. I have yet to find any dealer that will transfer a firearm here without the 10 day waiting period C&R or not.
Part way true and kind of not.

"It has always been my understanding that within CA you have to transfer ANY firearm through an 01FFL."
Not.
C&R rifles can be sold face to face between any two persons. No waiting period or DROS or 01ffl. (This does not include C&R handguns, they have to be transferred using a 01FFL.) as long as the buyer can legally own a firearm.

"I have yet to find any dealer that will transfer a firearm here without the 10 day waiting period C&R or not."
Correct.
If the one selling the C&R rifle is a 01FFL, then the rifle has to be treated like any other non C&R.
Unless the buyer has a 03FFL and a COE (certificate of eligibility), then the DROS and waiting period is waived. But most 01FFL will not sell this way, they feel it is too risky or don't understand the laws.

I am a 03FFL, I buy from private persons C&R rifle all the time with no 01FFL involved face to face in the state. Anyone can. Having a 03FFL only means I have to log it in my book.

I can sell a C&R to another private person (non 01FFL) as long as it is part of my collecting or "thinning out". In other words, I can't do it on a regular basis or it is a violation of my 03FFL "collectors license". I can't buy and resell to another person (straw man?).

I think I got it all right, but someone will find a "t" not crossed somewhere.;)

dolk

·
Gold Bullet member
1,433 Posts
edit ^^^^^^ You beat me to the post while I was thinking out my answer and your explanation is better. Thanks for making me look bad. ;)

Believe it or not, it's not that bad here. At least not yet, anyway.
Long arms over 50 years old can be sold in California person to person without an FFL. Hand guns of any age and modern long arms still have to go through an 01.
What stinks is that an 03 can't walk into a gunshop and just buy a C&R gun. We still have to go through DROS and the waiting period. I think that's what you are referring to.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
I went through the BATF book and couldn't find a definitive answer. I am in Calif., can't find anything in the Calif. DOJ regulations either.
If they don't say you can't do something then you can do it. Never try to over-read what's in the regulations, stretch them or invent new ones.

In the USA everything is permitted that is not expressly prohibited.
In Russia everything is prohibited without the proper payments to officials.
Formerly in Germany everything was prohibited that is not expressly permitted,
in France and Italy everything that was expressly prohibited was permitted, and
in Britain, as in the USA, everything was permitted that was not expressly prohibited.
Today in the European Union no one knows what is permitted and it all costs a lot more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts