Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
You might have issues with an 03A3 barrelled action (with all the 'goodies') fitting into a very early (03-style) Remington stock.

The problem comes about if the stock was not cut for the 03A3 rear handguard ring, which began some time after stocks began being produced by Remington. .

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
It has an 03A3 handguard, which tends to promise good things, but is not definite..

The view that you need is a picture of the inside of the stock in the area where the receiver ends and the barrel begins..

For the 03A3 rifle, there is a handguard retaining ring that encircles the barrel and sits in that location. If there is a narrow groove (about 1/8" long) cut into the wood in that area, the stock has been relieved for the handguard ring, and is a 'universal replacement stock', as it will fit both 1993's and 1903A3's. If there is no groove it is a '1903 only' stock.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has an 03A3 handguard, which tends to promise good things, but is not definite..

The view that you need is a picture of the inside of the stock in the area where the receiver ends and the barrel begins..

For the 03A3 rifle, there is a handguard retaining ring that encircles the barrel and sits in that location. If there is a narrow groove (about 1/8" long) cut into the wood in that area, the stock has been relieved for the handguard ring, and is a 'universal replacement stock', as it will fit both 1993's and 1903A3's. If there is no groove it is a '1903 only' stock.
Is this the groove to which you refer?
Brown Table Wood Hardwood Flooring
Brown Wood Automotive tire Flooring Wood stain

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
I can't be sure from the picture, but it DOES look like you have a half-rring-shaped square-edged cut in the correct vicinity. Usually, the flange cut ends up a bit wider than the profile of the OD of the receiver ring, though. This one is indeterminate, to me.

I checked some pictures in Brophy's book, and they were actually not all that clear, either, that I could say one way or the other from them..

However, I COULD see that the area where the 'ring cut' appears to be does have a more sharply defined profile in that area than on the older 03-only stocks shown in Brophy. From what I can tell, the 03 stocks have a somewhat more rounded profile that runs into that ring cut area. .

You can probably more easily determine this yourself.

Does the rear 'flange cut' on the handguard line up with this 'groove' when the handguard is being held on the rifle in the proper position, as in the two 'assembled stock'' pictures you posted?

If the flange cut on the handguard lines up with the ring cut on the stock, it should be a late (useable on both the 03 and the 03A3) stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts