Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, after I started this project to produce “Shooting Boxes”, I was interrupted by, of all things, a brain tumor. But now, three months after surgery, I’m about half-way into a full recovery. So I’m back into work on my prototype Shooting Box.

These things a BIG: 2 ft. by 2 ft. by one foot high, and will weigh as much as 40 pounds in their final form. They are “legal silencers” intended to suppress the noise of a rifle being fired. You insert the rifle barrel into one side, and the bullet exits the other side through a port while most of the muzzle blast is captured within the box.

The BATF assures me that these will NOT require registration when sold or traded: no $200.00 fee to BATF every time one changes hands. No forms to fill out, no hassles if one strays away or gets stolen.

I really don’t know if there is any demand for such a thing. But I know I FOR ONE need one. I even hate to shoot 22LR because of the noise gathering a crowd. And when I shoot my 7mm Mauser with its 22inch barrel, that thing really HURTS. And I hate wearing ear protection. And 7x57 Mauser is considered a conservative round by current standards.

I’ll keep this group posted as the prototype progresses. If I can keep the prices down, I hope that I can place some of these with gunsmiths and shooters who want to keep their shootin’ private and QUIET,

·
Banned
3,553 Posts
Interesting idea.....I can't wait to see (and hear) the final product.
Not sure how much demand there will be but it's still an interesting idea.
Keep us posted!!

·
Read Only
4,629 Posts
Baffle box of this sort....

...was a common feature of the European gunsmith shop, but these were generally a part of the testing bench, and not a stand-alone item. You have a nifty idea there, and I suspect you'll have a nice product when you're done.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,827 Posts
Am I missing something? How do you sight on the target with the barrel stuck in a box? I can't see a need for one just for test-firng.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responding, guys!

Mkgr22, the bullet travels parallel to the flat top of the box, just below the flat top. We will be testing only with scoped rifles, until we see whether iron sights can also be used. The vertical offset between the barrel and the scope allows enough clearance for the line-of-sight through the scope, even with my scout-mount scope.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the nice thoughts, Noble. Luckily, it was not cancerous. It was Cushing's Disease. Turned me fat, ugly, and DIABETIC!

If any of you guys suddenly start putting on weight in funny places and can't get it off, and develop diabetes, ask your doctor to get a NMRI of your pituitary. Supposedly it only hits about 700 men per year in the USA, so most doctors are late to recognise the symptoms.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the comments, guys. Of course, keeping the cost and weight down is my primary concern. I just found out that a major component of it will weigh 40 pounds and cost about $70.00 when purchased wholesale in quantities of twenty.

We are proceeding with a series of prototypes to see if all of the above is required for excellent performance. Maybe we can compromise performance with weight/price, and offer several “grades” of shooting boxes. But I’m getting ahead of myself. The first one is yet to be tested.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
A similar idea has been tried years ago, with mixed success.

the older method was to take a cardboard sweeping compound drum and line it with foam rubber.

The ends were left open and the idea was not so much to cut out all or even a major portion of the noise but to muffle it a bit so as to not get the nieghbors out of sorts when popping off a few rounds.

The major drawback turned out to be unburned powder collecting in the foam rubber and causing a flashfire.
Fire retardent and closed cell foam would probably reduce that danger.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the history, Gunnersam. I only heard about these shooting “tubes” since I began posting on my shooting boxes, and I welcome these comments.

Yes, heat/fire will be a problem. One of the fire retarding agents we are testing is aluminum hydroxide. It is the most common fire retardant powder used as a paint filler. It is actually 35% by weight water. This water is only available once the powder reaches about 200 deg. C. We are also looking at bicarbonate of soda, and several other components used in dry chemical fire extinguishers.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think there would be some demand of sorts for the thing. The gun range that I WENT to for years recently doubled there per hour price, right after BHO got elected. Also the new neighbors at my dads place where we shoot alot have called the police on us the past 4 times we have went shooting. He has lived there over 25 years, never a problem before, until recently when they moved in.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
74,962 Posts
I Also the new neighbors at my dads place where we shoot alot have called the police on us the past 4 times we have went shooting. He has lived there over 25 years, never a problem before, until recently when they moved in.
What do the police do when they come ??

·
Silver Bullet member
55,191 Posts
read that poachers would shoot===

through the truck both windows open :eek: to make a shooting type box
that silenced there illegal activities:mad:
not to rain on your idea but the use could not be as you intend. :eek:<>< dk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Around where I live, the POLICE cruise the “inside city limits”, and the county SHERIFFS patrol the “outside city limits” within the county borders. The cities all have “no weapons discharge” laws. In the county, in the Sheriff’s jurisdiction, there are a few laws about not discharging a gun towards a house or in an unsafe manner. My shop is in the Sheriff’s jurisdiction. I would not even consider firing within a city limits, unless it was inside my house and the neighbors absolutely could not hear it.

I live in Florida, where we don’t have basements…

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It would be really nice if I could later offer chronographs built into the shooting boxes. Probably the best approach for me would be to use something like a microwave/optical diode mounted outside the box but pointed downrange like some of the police radar-guns use. The radar guns utilize the Doppler-shift, and capture the LARGEST shift they see.

Inside the box most any detector would be subject to the rigors of pressures and the plasma of the blast. I hope that outside the box any particulates from the blast and the plasma would be reduced in its effect on the returns measured by the diode. Hopefully, the radar returns from the metallic bullet back-end would swamp the returns from any residual plasma/particulates.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,153 Posts
I am not versed in patent law, but if you're viewing this as an investment, you may want to limit the details you discuss publically until you secure the rights to it.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,153 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,657 Posts
The addition would still be prior art. Sticking a chronograph onto a baffle box ain't gonna a patentable idea.

but he can get protection on the appearance if it is distinctive.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.