Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 1891 Mosin made in 1916 a couple years back and just noticed this “Gr” stamp on the stock near the buttplate, the rifle doesn’t seem to be a referb and has the crest scrubbed on it. The “Gr” doesn’t look like it’s in cyrillic to me.
Brown Textile Sleeve Wood Grey
Bicycle part Nickel Cylinder Tool Composite material

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Your rifle is what people refer to as a "Balkan import" or "Romanian import". These typically have the Imperial eagles removed (as yours are), and have various markings on them. I don't know if the markings are WW1 markings from the country that captured the rifle, or if the rifles were given to Soviet satellite countries, and the markings applied afterwards.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Thanks I am curious what the Gr means, hopefully someone else will know.
It's not a mark I'm familiar with but Balkan imports have lots of unidentified marks. These rifles moved around a lot and spent time in many countries, some of which don't exist anymore so sometimes there isn't a easy answer to what these markings mean.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
It doesnt look like there ever was a K and if it was a O it doesn’t seem to connect all the way round. What would the OTK stamp stand for?
To me, the T and K are quite obvious, left half of К is a part of 'T' (vertical line of letter T). This 'combined' T and K is common in OTK stamps seen on Russian small firearms.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts