Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve been poking through my collection of Antique Rifles (Pre-1898) looking for unusual things and I came across a ’44 Sako (1895 Hex Receiver) with a “1195” marking on the left side of the barrel surrounded by odd proofs. I don't remember this one.. ..anyone know what it might be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Can't say exactly, but the Eagle over the "N" is typical of a German Nitro semi-smokeless Schultze powder proof (1939 to 1952?) and the shield with the pic indicates from the Suhl proof house (circa 1950?). (1195 bars?) Anyway, my best guess. DDR

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the insight, DDR. If these rifles could talk I'm sure they could tell a very interesting story about their travels. Finland.. Germany.. USA.. One has to wonder how it got from place to place.

I haven't seen this marking on any of my other MN Finn, Russian or Bloc rifles and I appreciate the lead.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
It could have been purchased and brought back by one of hundreds of thousands of our GI's stationed in Germany in the last 55 years. Would be nice to know! Good luck finding out more info on it. I think it is rather unique. Don't be surptised if 7.62x54r.net wants a pic! DDR

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
It could have been purchased and brought back by one of hundreds of thousands of our GI's stationed in Germany in the last 55 years. Would be nice to know! Good luck finding out more info on it. I think it is rather unique. Don't be surptised if 7.62x54r.net wants a pic! DDR

Don't be surprised if Ted wants the whole rifle. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Further information about this rifle..

The bolt body (Izhevsk) and magazine (Sestroryetsk) are numerically matched (not force matched) using the last 4 digits of the serial number in the Finn style. The bolt body serial number is on the flat, not on the bolt handle. Interesting..

The rifle has a Sako cocking piece, an Izhevsk bolt body as stated, Tula bolt head & guide, and the receiver is an 1895 Hex Tula that looks like it was made yesterday. The remaining barrel markings (serial number, etc.) are typical of a 1944 Sako M39. The barrel is sharp and shiny and the exterior is beautiful.

One odd thing is the extractor marking - it's one I haven't seen before and I will have to take a photo sometime. The trigger is Finn, but unmarked.

What a mix!

Add the fact that this is an Interordanance import.. ..and you have to wonder where in the world this rifle has been.

Oh.. ..the stock is a typical wartime rounded-finger two-piece Finn with faint Sako markings on the butstock.

Time for bed!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
........at the Suhl proofe house.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, Ted - now it all makes sense. I forgot to mention that the receiver is similarly marked with the eagle proof, just to the right of the photo.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
My information came from "The Standard Directory of Proof Marks" by Gerhard Wirnsberger - at least as best as I could make it out with two very tired old eyes in the dark using only a keroseme lamp - and all of the other excuses I can come up with for not being able to read. :eek: DDR

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.