Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gentlemen,

This my first post on the French firearms board. Today I picked this rifle up. I think it is a Fusil de Infanterie Modèle Modifié 1916. Overall length is approximately 51". Here are some photos.

KJ

Attachments

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,656 Posts
If it has a 5 shot magazine it is a Fusil de Infanterie Modèle Modifié 1916 otherwise it is Fusil de Infanterie Modèle 1907-1915.
it does however have the provision for the handguard. I would find a complete 5 round magazine and swap it for the 3 round type unless it matches the firearm already then just leave it alone as it is.

Établissement Continsouza was created in 1909 by Pierre-Victor Continsouza which produced gramophones and cinematography equipmnent. In 1914 Monsieur Continsouza rented industrial buildings called l'Usine de la Marque in North-East part of Tulle to produce armaments for the war effort. After the war he moved his entire production of cinematography equipmnent to this location. He continued operations until May of 1928 when he merged with Éstablishments Louis Aubert to form a company called Mécanique Industrial de Precision (M.I.P.) but in 1929 he was forced to liquidate his assets to the Banque Nationale de Crédit (B.N.C.) and thus the name Établissements Continsouza disappears from history. They only made receivers and rest of the parts were placed on them at either Manufacture Nationale d'Armes de Saint Etienne (MAS) or Manufacture Nationale d'Armes de Châtellerault (MAC).

Patrick

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you. I will try and post additional photos. Does the MA S 1917 mean the barrel was installed in 1917 at St. Etienne? OK, I am having a problem with my photos. But can anyone tell me what the missing screw in the picture does? What is it called and where I might find one? Thank you all.

KJ

Attachments

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,656 Posts
The rifle is missing a screw and I do not know what it is for, what it is called or where I can get one.
The part in English is called the horizontal triggerguard screw ... you can get one from either Springfield Sporters, Inc. ... http://www.ssporters.com/parts/french-berthia.html or Liberty Tree Collectors ... https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=652&idcategory=67

Does the MA S 1917 mean the barrel was installed in 1917 at St. Etienne?
What it means is the barrel was made by MAS in 1917 and most likely installed by MAS then.

Patrick

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Much thanks to Patrick. I just picked up the missing horizontal triggerguard screw for my M16 and also bought four, five round en blocs clips from Liberty Tree.

KJ

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Thank you. I will try and post additional photos. Does the MA S 1917 mean the barrel was installed in 1917 at St. Etienne? OK, I am having a problem with my photos. But can anyone tell me what the missing screw in the picture does? What is it called and where I might find one? Thank you all.

KJ
What is your rifle serial number? the prefix letter will indicate what Manufacture made the assembly and delivered the rifle to the Army, your link to pictures posted on another forum works only for those registered there!

Finished and proofed barrels were swapped between MAC and MAS manufactures to prevent temporary shortages from slowing down production, both manufactures used Coutinsouza receivers, MAC even used MAS receivers and barrels!

kelt

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Serial number is 29691, preceded by what appears to be capital cursive F and K. This same serial number is also located on the buttstock, and trigger guard. The bolt has a different serial. The serial on the bolt is 55198, preceded by what appears to be capital cursive F and T (maybe a J).

KJ

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will try and post more photos tonight. I am having several issues doing so however. Are there some kind of restrictions based on size and/or number of photos per thread or message?

KJ

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
These are MAS prefix letters, FJ 55198 = 3rd quarter of 1917, FK29691 = 1st quarter 1918.
F and J are MAS prefix letters, T was used by MAT.

MAC was producing mostly Mle 16 Musketoons during that period. many with Coutinsouza receivers.

kelt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts